Download pdf to print or save this recipe.
Meat loaf was a favourite dish when our children were growing up.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 225 gm minced beef
- 225 gm sausage meat
- 1 tbl oil
- 1 onion
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbl of breadcrumbs (two slices)
- 1 tbl fresh flat parsley chopped
- ¼ tsp dried mixed herbs
- A pinch of salt
- A splash or two of Worcester sauce
- Preheat the oven to 180oC.
- Brown the beef with the oil in a large frying pan.
- Skin the onion and chop it into small pieces.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix them well together.
- Line a 2 pint/1100 ml loaf tin with greaseproof paper and press the meat mixture firmly into it.
- Bake it for one hour above the centre of the oven.
- Serve with boiled potatoes and peas.
- Garnish with watercress.
- Instead of using beef and sausage meat you could use 450 gm of minced beef, but it is a little more expensive.
- If you cannot use the beef within a day or two of purchase freeze it until you need it.
- Meat loaf can be sliced and eaten cold for a school lunch box.