Download pdf to print or save this recipe.
Slow cooker recipe
Just what you need to help you warm up after playing in the snow all day!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 8 to 9 hours
2 tbl oil
4 chicken thighs
1 onion, peeled and sliced
8 small new potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into 2 or 3 pieces
1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed; or ¼ tsp garlic powder
198 gm can (including water) sweet corn
300 gm can (including water) haricot beans
600 ml boiling chicken stock
2 tbl plain flour
2 sprigs thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
salt and pepper
fresh spinach, washed
- Preheat the slow cooker if necessary.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry the chicken for about 8 minutes until it is lightly browned, turning it over at half time.
- Meanwhile prepare the onion and soften it in another frying pan with the rest of the oil.
- Prepare the potatoes and red pepper.
- Transfer the chicken, onions and potatoes to the slow cooker pot.
- Prepare the garlic cloves if used.
- Drain the sweet corn and haricot beans and rinse them with cold water in a sieve.
- Put the stock, flour, pepper, garlic, sweet corn, haricot beans, thyme, salt and pepper into a large saucepan and bring it back to the boil.
- Transfer the contents to the slow cooker, replace the lid, and cook for 8 to 9 hours on automatic.
Tip: Serve with fresh spinach and hot garlic bread.