Download pdf to print or save this recipe.
A tasty touch of the Mediterranean, worth doing for special guests if you can find the time! You may be able to enlist children to stuff the tomatoes if the stuffing is not too hot.
Total time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4 or 6
6 medium tomatoes
ground black pepper
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion (60 gm), finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, crushed, or 1/8th tsp garlic powder
2 slices (90 gm) of breadcrumbs
parsley leaves, finely chopped
30 gm butter
- Preheat the oven to 18 oC.
- Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise (not top to bottom). Remove the cores, pips and juice using a thin teaspoon, sprinkle them with a little sale and pepper, and put them in an ovenproof dish or tray.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a low heat and prepare the onion and garlic.
- Gently fry the onion and garlic for about 10 minutes until soft. Be careful not let them go brown.
- Meanwhile sprinkle the tomatoes with a little salt and pepper and put the dish in the oven for about 8 minutes until the tomatoes are slightly soft.
- Meanwhile prepare the breadcrumbs and parsley.
- Melt the butter in the pan and stir in the breadcrumbs, parsley and a little salt and pepper.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven and stuff them with the contents of the pan.
- Cook them in the oven for about 12 minutes.
- Reserve a few parsley stalks as garnish.
- These go well with Roast Lamb - Chops or Leg Steaks.