Download pdf to print or save this recipe.
This extra-healthy recipe demands a fair bit of work, but it’s worth cooking if you want something special. Lamb’s liver is the nicest kind, but pork liver and calf liver are nearly as good. You are not supposed to freeze raw lamb’s liver, so buy it only a day or two before you need to use it. The secret of cooking liver is not to overcook it. Overcooked liver is leathery.
Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes
1 small cauliflower, washed
2 tbl olive oil
25 gm butter
1 onion, skinned and chopped finely
1 red dessert apple, cored and sliced thinly
2 tbl redcurrant or cranberry jelly
1 tbl lemon juice
1 tsp dried sage
120 ml apple juice or juice drink
400 gm liver
1 tbl plain flour
1 tsp mustard powder
salt and pepper
40 gm packet of cheese sauce powder
300 ml milk
- Break the cauliflower into florets and steam them for 25 to 30 minutes. Put the dinner plates on top of the steamer to warm them.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan.
- Prepare the onion, then fry it for a few minutes until it is softened, turning it at half time.
- Meanwhile wash the liver and pat it dry in some kitchen paper.
- Put the flour, remaining sage, mustard powder and seasoning into a plastic bag with no holes in it, close the bag and shake it.
- As soon as the onion is softened put it between two of the plates to keep it warm, leaving as much oil as possible in the pan.
- Put the liver in the bag and shake it again until the liver is well coated.
- Fry the liver for 4 or 5 minutes, turning it at half time.
- Meanwhile prepare the apple.
- Put the apple, jelly, lemon juice, half the sage and the apple juice into a saucepan, bring it to the boil and simmer for about 8 minutes until the apple is soft.
- Meanwhile preheat the grill.
- Put the cheese sauce powder and milk into a small saucepan and start to cook it according to the instructions on the packet.
- When the liver is cooked put it with the onions to keep it warm. Tip the remaining fat into the simmering saucepan.
- When the cauliflower is soft, put it into an ovenproof dish and pour the thickened cheese sauce over it. Place it under the grill to brown.
- Serve the liver and onions onto the plates and pour the contents of the saucepan over them.
- Serve the cauliflower cheese separately so that people can help themselves to it.