Download pdf to print or save this recipe.
This is a surprise pudding. You will find a lemony sauce beneath the sponge.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 55 minutes
60 gm butter
1 tbl granulated sweetener
50 gm self-raising flour
190 ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 180oC.
- Cream the butter and sweetener with a fork in a large mixing bowl.
- Separate the eggs. Add the yolks to the large bowl and put the whites in a small bowl.
- Grate the lemon rind with the second finest cutter on a grater and add it to the bowl. (Don’t grate the white pith as it tastes bitter.)
- Squeeze out the lemon juice and add it to the large bowl.
- Add the flour to the mixing bowl and mix it in.
- Add the milk, stirring until the mixture becomes a smooth batter.
- Whisk the egg whites stiffly with an electric whisk. Fold them into the mixture using a large kitchen spoon.
- Line an ovenproof dish with greaseproof paper, and pour the mixture into it.
- Stand the dish in a baking tray containing an inch (2.5 cm) of cold water.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 180oC.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150oC and continue to cook the pudding for another 40 minutes until it is firm and the top is just turning a golden brown colour.
- Serve with a little fresh cream or squirty cream.
Tip: To use the pudding cold in a lunch box, do not use the tray of water.