Download pdf to print or save this recipe.
Slow cooker recipe
A nutritious and tasty stew, particularly good for a cold day.
Preparation time: 35 minutes stew + 15 minutes dumplings.
Cooking time: 6 to 7 hours
6 chicken drumsticks, organic or free range
6 pork and herb sausages, preferably freshly made
2 tbl cooking oil
1 onion, topped, tailed, skinned and sliced
1 leek, washed and sliced
2 tbl plain flour
600 ml (1 pint) chicken stock
a small bunch of mixed herbs or dried herbs
salt and pepper
300 gm baby carrots, washed, topped and sliced
3 celery sticks, washed and sliced
30 gm dried cranberries
150 gm self-raising flour
75 gm shredded beef suet
4 tbl chopped fresh parsley
7 tbl cold water
- Preheat the slow cooker if necessary.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the drumsticks and sausages all over.
- Meanwhile prepare the onion, leek and chicken stock.
- Transfer the browned meat to the cooker pot, retaining as much oil as possible.
- Fry the onion and and leeks slices on both sides until softened.
- Meanwhile prepare the carrots and celery sticks.
- Stir in the flour and stock.
- Add the herbs, salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Add the carrots, celery sticks and cranberries to the pot.
- Transfer the contents of the frying pan to the cooker pot.
- Cook on high for 5 to 6 hours.
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl to make a soft dough.
- Knead half the quantity into a ball and with your hands roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a sausage 20 cm or 9 inches in length.
- Cut it into 6 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a small ball with your hands.
- Repeat this with the other half of the dough.
- 45 minutes before the stew is cooked and served, put the 12 dumplings into the cooker pot and replace the lid.
Tip: Use freshly made sausages within 48 hours of purchase, or freeze them on the day of purchase.