Download pdf to print or save this recipe.
Slow cooker recipe
This can be prepared and cooked within 2½ hours, so it is not very slow. It includes a rather unusual kind of mash. Use unsmoked cod or other white fish if you prefer.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 2 or 2½ hours
Servings: 4 to 6
2 x 410 gm cannellini beans
1 bunch of spring onions
400 ml boiling fish stock
1 tsp wholegrain mustard (or mustard powder)
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
4 smoked cod fillets, about 600 gm
small bunch of parsley, watercress or rocket leaves
4 tbl crème fraiche
- Preheat the slow cooker if necessary.
- Boil the beans in their water for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Meanwhile slice the onions thinly.
- Mix the fish stock with the mustard, lemon, salt and pepper.
- Rinse the parboiled beans in a sieve and arrange them in the slow cooker pot.
- Add the stock mixture to the pot, and arrange the fish on top.
- Cook on auto for 2 hours or on low for 2½ hours.
- Meanwhile chop up the parsley, watercress or rocket.
- When the fish is cooked, use a fish slice to transfer it to a large warmed plate and cover it with a second one.
- Strain off the liquid through a colander, and mash the beans in a saucepan.
- Stir in the chopped leaves and the crème fraiche.
- Spoon the mash onto plates and serve the fish on top of it.
Tip: Serve with rocket, watercress or sliced cucumber.