Download pdf to print or save this recipe.
Hob and slow cooker recipe
This is good for a cold winter’s day, when we need more carbohydrate than usual to keep ourselves warm.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 4 to 5 hours
25 gm butter
2 x 225 gm unsmoked gammon steaks
1 leek, trimmed, cleaned and sliced
a little pepper
200 gm self-raising flour
100 gm beef suet
3 tsp mustard powder
½ tsp salt
130 – 140 ml water
25 gm butter
2 tbl plain flour
300 ml milk
2 tbl fresh parsley, finely chopped
Mange tout or green beans
- Put 1200 ml cold water in the slow cooker and pre-heat it.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and put the steaks and leek slices in it.
- Sprinkle them with pepper and fry for 8 to 10 minutes, turning them over at half time.
- Meanwhile mix the remaining dry ingredients in a large bowl and combine them with enough of the water to form a soft but not sticky dough.
- Grease a 15 – 16 cm diameter pudding bowl.
- Remove the lightly fried gammon from the pan and set it aside to cool. Turn off the hob.
- Roll out two-thirds of the dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle with a diameter of 21 – 23 cm. Place it in the pudding bowl to cover the base and the sides.
- Roll out the rest of the dought into a circle with a diameter of 15 – 16 cm.
- Dice the gammon using a fork and a sharp kitchen knife.
- Place the gammon and the leeks in the pudding bowl and cover them with the remaining pastry.
- Put the bowl in the slow cooker and cook for 4 to 5 hours on high.
- 10 minutes before serving, melt the butter for the sauce in a small saucepan.
- Stir in the flour, milk and a little salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring with a flat-ended spatula to avoid burning, then stir in the parsley.
- Serve the pudding and sauce with mange tout or green beans.