Download pdf to print or save this recipe.
Slow cooker recipe
This recipe works well with most kinds of fish, but it is meant for use with oily fish such as mackerel, herring or trout.
Preparation time: 30 minutes, or 40 minutes to completely remove tiny bones from oily fish before cooking
Cooking time: 2½ hours
4 mackerel or other fresh fish; gutted; heads, tails and fins removed; rinsed in cold water
1 onion, sliced
2 tbl oil
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 celery stick, sliced
200 ml fish stock
2 tbl cider vinegar or other vinegar
salt and pepper
1 dessert apple, peeled, cored and sliced
250 pack of cooked or pickled baby beetroot, drained
2 bay leaves
2 tsp wholegrain mustard or 1 tsp English mustard powder
6 tbl crème fraiche or plain yogurt
2 tbl chopped chives
salt and pepper
- Preheat the slow cooker if necessary.
- Prepare the fish
- Top, tail, skin and slice the onion.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile prepare the carrot and celery.
- Fry all three vegetables for five minutes, turning them over at half time.
- Meanwhile bring the fish stock, vinegar, cloves, salt and pepper to the boil in a saucepan.
- Meanwhile prepare the apple.
- Put the beetroot, apple and bay leaves into the slow cooker put, followed by the fried vegetables, the contents of the saucepan and the fish, in that order.
- Cook on automatic for 2½ hours.
Mix the ingredients in a small bowl and serve with the main meal, peas and warm garlic bread.
Tip: Open the packet of beetroot in the sink and rinse in cold water to avoid staining the worktop with red juice.