Download pdf to print or save this recipe.
Slow cooker recipe
This tasty chicken\nand root vegetable hotpot can be served with delicious buttery grilled potatoes\nwith a little extra effort.
Preparation time: 35 minutes
Cooking time: 5 hours
2 carrots, scraped and diced
1 swede, peeled and diced
600 gm medium potatoes, washed or peeled
1½ tbl olive oil
6 organic or higher welfare chicken thighs
1 onion, topped, tailed, skinned and sliced
4 unsmoked streaky bacon rashers
2 tbl plain flour
600 ml chicken stock
2 or 3 sprigs of sage
salt and pepper to taste
\n\n25 gm butter (optional for grilled potatoes)
- Preheat the slow cooker if\nnecessary.
- Prepare the carrots, swede and\npotatoes. If opting for grilled potatoes, slice them thinly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in\na large pan and ½ tablespoon in another pan.
- Prepare the onion.
- Brown the chicken on both sides\nin the large pan for a few minutes on each side, and gently fry the onion and\nbacon on both sides in the second pan.
- Set aside the bacon and onion to\ncool.
- Sprinkle the flour over the\nchicken and pour the stock over it. Add the sage, salt and pepper and return\nthe chicken mixture to the boil.
- Use scissors to cut the bacon\ninto small pieces.
- Transfer the chicken mixture to\nthe slow cooker pot, then add the onion, carrots, swede and potatoes.
- Cover with the lid and cook on\nauto for 5 hours.
- If opting for grilled potatoes, heat the grill\n15 minutes before serving, remove the potatoes from the hotpot 10 minutes\nbefore serving, place them in a grilling tray with little dabs of butter and\ngrill them until golden brown.
Tip: The liquid remaining\nafter serving can be chilled or frozen for later use.