Download pdf to print or save this recipe.
Slow cooker recipe
This recipe requires a lot of preparation, but if your kitchen is big enough you could enlist several helpers to speed things up! The ingredients shown should just fit into a 4 litre slow cooker pot.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 6 to 7 hours
Servings: 6 to 8
2 onions, roughly chopped
3 carrots, sliced
2 tbl oil
800 gm cheap lamb, cut into chunks
2 parsnips, diced
1 swede, diced
100 ml boiling water
600 ml lamb stock
2 tbl plain flour
4 tbl chopped chives
2 tsp dried rosemary
salt and pepper
600 gm potatoes, diced
- Preheat the slow cooker if necessary.
- Prepare the onions and carrots.
- Brown the meat with the oil in a large frying pan for a few minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile prepare the parsnips and swede.
- Transfer the meat to the slow cooker, leaving as much oil as possible in the pan.
- Add 100 ml boiling water to the cooker pot and set it to auto for 6 to 7 hours.
- Fry the onion for a few minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile stir the flour into a very little of the lamb stock in a large saucepan. Add the rest of the stock, herbs and seasonings and bring to the boil.
- Transfer the onions to the cooker pot.
- Fry the carrots and parsnips for a few minutes on each side in the remaining oil.
- Meanwhile prepare the potatoes.
- Add everything to the cooker pot and replace the lid.
Tip: Buy the lamb ready chopped if possible. Otherwise buy 1.2 kg on the bone and ask the butcher to debone it and chop it up for you.