Download pdf to print or save this recipe.
Slow cooker recipe
If you’ve ever tasted the traditional Greek dish kleftiko you’ll know how delicious slow-cooked lamb can taste. If you haven’t then try this recipe and you will know! Cooking it this way is far simpler.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 hours
1 kg lamb shoulder on the bone
3 sprigs of rosemary, or 1 rounded tsp of dried rosemary
1 red onion cut into 12 small chunks
2 tbl redcurrant or cranberry jelly
250 ml lamb stock
250 ml sugar reduced red Shloer grape drink
salt and pepper
- Preheat the slow cooker if necessary.
- Put the lamb into the cooker pot, the rosemary on top and the onion pieces around the edge.
- Put the jelly, stock and Shloer into a small saucepan with a little salt and pepper.
- Bring the contents to the boil, stirring until the jelly has melted.
- Pour the mixture over the lamb, replace the lid and cook on auto for 8 hours.
- Put the joint and onions on a serving plate, and discard the rosemary sprigs if used. The lamb will some off the bone easily.
- Pour some of the liquid into a jug for gravy with a little gravy powder and gently reheat it in a microwave oven to thicken it.
- Serve with steamed green vegetables and baby potatoes.
- The liquid can also be drunk later as a tasty broth.
- If you use a steamer for the vegetables you can cook the potatoes at the same time in the water.