Download pdf to print or save this recipe.
Hob and grill recipe with optional microwave oven
Spanish omelettes include potatoes and other ingredients, just the thing to keep up the strength of a ‘toreador’ or Spanish bull fighter. Eat a couple of these colourful omelettes and you might be strong enough to fight the school bully!
You will need a large non-stick frying pan with a metal handle.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 or 5
2 large potatoes
1 large onion
1 large green pepper
30 gm butter
6 slices wafer thin ham or some ham offcuts
salt and pepper to taste
4 tbl milk
green salad ingredients
- Peel the potatoes. Put them in a covered microwaveable container with a little water and microwave them on high (700 watts) for 2 minutes per 100 gm. (Alternatively boil them in water for 20 minutes.)
- Skin and chop the onion finely.
- Deseed the green pepper and cut it into small pieces.
- Fry the onion and green pepper with the butter in the large frying pan over a medium heat for about 6 minutes, turning them over at half time.
- Meanwhile cut up the ham, tomatoes and cooked potato into small pieces.
- Add the tomato, potato, salt and pepper to the pan.
- Lightly whisk the eggs and milk in a medium-sized bowl.
- Add the eggs, milk and ham to the pan and stir.
- Cook on a medium or medium to high heat for 3 minutes, then stir again.
- Continue cooking for another 7 or 8 minutes or until the top is nearly dry or there is a slight smell of burning.
- Put the pan under a hot grill until the omelette has risen and is a light golden brown colour.
- Serve with a green salad and optional crusty bread or warm garlic bread.
Tip: When you have skinned the onion, cut it into two halves through the middle. Each half will then have a flat base, which makes them easier to chop up. Of course if you can use a food processor it’s even easier.